10 May Job Opening: Northern Nevada Director
Northern Nevada Director Job Description
Battle Born Progress (BBP), through strategic communication efforts, empowers, engages and mobilizes Nevada voters to build a state where everyone has a fair opportunity to succeed. BBP is a 501(c)(4) non-partisan advocacy organization.
Institute for a Progressive Nevada (IPN), educates, empowers and engages Nevadans to build a state where everyone has a fair opportunity to succeed. Our legal entity is Institute for a Progressive Nevada a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
Job Title: Northern Nevada Director
Reports to: Executive Director and Deputy Director
Job Summary: The position of Northern Nevada Director is critical to the success of BBP/IPN. This role covers many policy areas and tasks. The Northern Nevada Director is responsible for managing BBP/IPN staff in the region and will act as the main representative for the organization(s) in Northern Nevada.
As the Northern Nevada Director you are responsible for (but not limited to) the following:
Management & Administration
- Assist the Executive Director and Deputy Director, as appropriate, in managing program and policy staff and work with staff to strengthen program and campaign plans
- Recruit, manage and evaluate interns and collaborate with other staff to identify intern project and training opportunities
- Assist the Executive Director with managing internal office operations in Northern Nevada as needed
- Assist with plan development and implementation for the organization, ensuring proper benchmarks are met
- Assist the Executive Director in evaluating program and staff deliverables and performance
- Assist with tracking of monthly data for grants and organizational goals
- Assist with reporting of progress and goals to board members, funders, and the general public
Online Membership and Fundraising Engagement
- Develop and manage an innovative and comprehensive online engagement plan for the organization in Northern Nevada to solicit member participation in actions, campaigns and fundraising goals through e-alerts, organizational website, social media, and microsites
- Identify weekly opportunities for BBP/IPN’s members to participate in campaign objectives, including posting web content, developing and sending email blasts or fundraising solicitations to membership lists in the North
- Work with Executive Director to develop and manage the Northern Nevada portion of a statewide earned media plan for related accountability work up and down the ticket
- Work to proactively identify opportunities to advance communications campaign objectives creatively in the area
- Collaborate with both members of table and partner organizations and independent groups to maximize accountability and electoral impact in Northern Nevada
- Assisting partner and independent groups in developing earned media opportunities with research-driven messages
- Draft campaign materials as needed, including mail, scripts, pledge cards, etc.
- Develop and conduct spokesperson and media trainings for organizational allies, candidates and BBP/IPN’s staff, interns and volunteers
- Identify and prep “real people” or grasstops spokespeople as needed for earned or paid media, including drafting rapid-response messaging points or bird-dogging questions
- Work closely with relevant staff members, community partners, and interns/volunteers to conduct internal research and reports to develop strategic communications activities to release the information
- Coordinate BBP/IPN’s own communications work and statements, including both traditional and new media – press releases, press conferences, op-eds, social media, microsites, etc.
- Northern Nevada Director will largely be responsible for the development of any special projects
- Northern Nevada Director will work with the Executive Director and the Development Assistant to implement portions of the annual fundraising plan, which may include membership drives, large events, or contract solicitations from both local and national funders looking to fund project-based programs and issue-based campaigns
- Assist Executive Director and Deputy Director with all legislative goals, bill tracking, and lobbying needs
- Participate in brainstorming and visioning for assessing gaps and needs on the progressive landscape and how to fill them
- Work closely with identified partners and allies to provide mutual support
- Attend board and coalition meetings as needed
- Attend legislative and other governmental meetings as necessary representing the organization
- Attend monthly America Votes and Silver State Voices meetings as needed
- All other duties as assigned
This is a communications and campaign-oriented position. Events will, at times, be scheduled in the evening and/or the weekends and you will need to be available. This is also a team-oriented office and collaboration and support of others is critical.
This position requires creativity, reliability, and flexibility due to the fast-paced nature and mission of the organizations. The Northern Nevada Director is a vital part of making the team functional and successful and will take on a variety of roles as needs arise.
- Education: Bachelors degree or higher in related field
- Proven working experience in communications and politics
- Passion for promoting positive social change
- Ability to set and achieve goals independently and as a team
- Ability to motivate and manage a group of passionate staff members, activists, and volunteers
- Excellent organizational skills and communication (written and oral) skills
- Ability to speak in public and to the media
- Experience in working with Nevada media outlets preferred
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Knowledge of social media platforms and the Voter Activation Network (VAN) is a plus
- Knowledge of social media tracking platforms, use of software to create infographics, flyers, and memes (Canva)
- Reliable transportation and ability to work long hours in our office
Location: Northern Nevada office
Term: Salaried full-time position with benefits
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume and writing sample to our Las Vegas office at Annette@battlebornprogress.org no later than Friday, May 18, 2018.